- M.A., American History / Museum Studies, 1996
Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
- B.A., History, 1986
Allegheny College, Meadville, PA
- Winter Institute in Decorative Arts, 2000
Winterthur Museum, Wilmington, DE
- Fellowship, Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington, at Mount Vernon, Virginia, September 2018.
- Director of Collections, 2006-Present
The George Washington Masonic National Memorial, Alexandria, VA
- Curator of Masonic and Fraternal Collections, 1999-2005
National Heritage Museum, Lexington, MA
- Exhibitions Registrar, 1997-1998
Missouri Historical Society, Saint Louis, MO
- Museum Collections Assistant, 1993-1997
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, PA
- Chicago Financial and Commodities Exchanges:
Solomon Brothers Inc., 1990-1991
Fossett Clearing Corporation, 1987-1989
- United States Army Reserve, Infantry Officer, 1984-1991
- Almanac of American Freemasonry, 1730-1774. Compiled with John R. “Bo” Cline (self-published, 2021)
- George Washington’s Rule for Life and Lodge, (Richmond VA: Macoy’s Publishing, 2017).
- “Secret Societies in America” and Other Foundational Studies in Fraternalism, Eds. William D. Moore and Mark A. Tabbert (New Orleans, Cornerstone Publishing, 2012).
- From Museums to Memorials: Ten Years of Masonic Writing, (New Orleans: Cornerstone Publishing, 2011).
- American Freemasons: Three Centuries of Building Communities, (NY: National Heritage Museum with New York University Press, 2005).
MAJOR MUSEUM EXHIBITIONS
- The Family of Freemasonry, GWMNM, Feb. 2012- Present.
- The Freemasons’ White House Stones, GWMNM Feb 2010- June 2012.
- The Form and Function of American Freemasonry, GWMNM, May 2008 – Present.
- Golden Age of Masonic Architecture [postcard prints] GWMNM, Feb. 2007- Present.
- George Washington: Founding Father and Freemason. NHM, Feb – Jun 2005.
- To the Eastward: 200 Years of Freemasonry in Sag Harbor. Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum, Sag Harbor, NY, May – October 2004.
- To Build and Sustain: Freemasons in American Community. NHM, 2002 – 2008.
ARTICLES & APPENDICES
- “George Washington, General Grand Master of the United States of America, or Not” Reflections on 300 Years of Freemasonry: Papers Delivered at the Quatuor Coronati Tercentenary Conference, 9-11 September 2016. John Wade, ed. (London: Lewis Masonic, 2017).
- “‘Breast the Storm!’: Vermont Freemasonry during the Antimasonic Period, 1826-1846,” Ars Quatuor Coronatorum, 125, (2012), 76-102.
- All Men Free and Brethren; Essays on the History of African American Freemasonry, Peter Hinks & Steven Kantrowitz, Edts., (NY: Cornell Univ. Press, 2013),
Appendices: Glossary of Masonic Terms; Chronology of Prince Hall Freemasonry; Prince Hall Grand Lodges and Repositories; Prince Hall Masonic Appendant and Affiliated Organizations.
- “Freemasonry in the Digital Revolution,” Hibiscus Masonic Review, 2, (2008), 268-93.
- “Presenting Freemasonry through a Public Exhibition,” Heredom: The Journal of the Scottish Rite Research Society, 10, (2002), 63-92.
PRESENTATIONS & VIDEO PRODUCTIONS
- “A Deserving Brother: George Washington and Freemasonry,” Grand Lodge of California, A.F. & A.M., Speakers Series via Zoom, September 9, 2020.
- “A Deserving Brother: George Washington and Freemasonry,” Conversation at the Washington Library Podcast, with Kevin Butterfield, Ph.D., Director of the Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington at Mount Vernon, September 2018.
- Interviewee, “Secrets of the Masons” Greg Clark Productions, aired on BBC Scotland, March 2018.
- “Why Did George Washington Join Freemasonry, Michigan Lodge of Research, Detroit, MI, August 23, 2014.
- “New Discoveries of George Washington’s Masonic Membership,” Missouri Lodge of Research, Jefferson City, MO, May 16, 2014.
- “Private Virtue and Public Prosperity: The Creation of the George Washington Masonic National Memorial,” Fourth International Conference on the History of Freemasonry, Edinburgh, Scotland, 24-26 May 2013.
- “New England Grand Lodge Reaction, Recovery and Reform during the Anti-Masonic Period, 1826-1848,” Grand Lodge of California Masonic Symposium, Pasadena, CA, June 25, 2011.
- Member Local Organizing Committee, Third International Conference on the History of Freemasonry, Alexandria, VA, 27-29 May 2011.
- “Masonic Digital Archives Project,” American Library Association Conference, Washington DC, 25 June 2010.
- “George Washington’s Masonic Aprons,” Mt. Nebo Masonic Lodge 91, Shepherdstown, WV, 17 April, 2010.
- Interviewee, “Built on Freedom” Alexandria, VA: George Washington Masonic National Memorial Association, Mark Fastoso Production, 22 February 2010.
- Interviewee, “Hunting the Lost Symbol” Los Angeles: Ron Zinskin Productions, Aired the Discovery Channel, 18 October 2009.
- “John, Paul, George, and Ben: Why did the Founding Fathers Join Freemasonry?,” Templum Fidelias Lodge 746, Bath, Ontario, 18 September, 2010.
- Interviewee, “Secrets of the Founding Fathers” Los Angeles: Digital Ranch Productions, Aired A&E Television Networks, 29 June 2009.
- “An 18th Century Timeline of Prince Hall Freemasonry,” Second International Conference on the History of Freemasonry, Edinburgh, Scotland, 19 May 2009.
- ““The Happiness of Mankind”: George Washington’s and Freemasonry’s Utopian Vision for the American Republic, 1783 -1793,” Canonbury Masonic Research Centre, London, England, 8 November, 2007.
- “The Development of American Masonic Philanthropy in the 20th Century,”
International Conference on the History of Freemasonry, Edinburgh, Scotland, May 2007.
- ‘Freemasonry and Society: Where Do We Go From Here?” Masonic Spring Workshop, Delta Lodge, Kananaskis, Alberta, 29 April, 2006.
- “Freemasonry and the Digital Revolution,” Masonic Society of Blue Friars, Washington, DC, 10 February 2006.
- “Problems & Solutions to Database Cataloging and Classifying Masonic Artifacts,” Association of Masonic Museums, Libraries and Archives in Europe, Stockholm, Sweden, 9 July, 2004.
- “Presenting Masonic History in a Public Exhibition,” Association of Masonic Museums, Libraries and Archives in Europe, Oslo Norway, 22 June, 2003.
- “From the Sublime to the Ridiculous: American Fraternal Organizations, 1860-1960,”
- Smithsonian Institute, Museum of American History, Tuesday Colloquium, September 9, 2003.
- President, Masonic Library and Museum Association (North America), 2011-2013
- Member, Historic Alexandria Resource Committee, Alexandria, VA, 2007 –2011
- Affiliated Member, Assoc. of Masonic Museums, Libraries & Archives in Europe, 2002-Present
MARK ALLEN TABBERT